With the release of his debut mixtape, 19 emerging rapper/singer DizzyGotBands is quickly making a name for himself. Hailing from Rockland County the young rapper is currently making waves with his singles “Lonzo,” “Ariane” and “Trenches.” After dropping out of medical school to pursue his true passion, Dizzy released his debut mixtape 19 which has been well received in the short time it has been out. With his career just beginning Dizzy is off to a great start.
I had the opportunity to speak with Dizzy about his influences, his decision to drop out of medical school, 19 and more.
So you dropped out of medical school to pursue music. Were you working on music while you were in school, and when did you make the decision to say fuck it I’m going to put my all into this?
- I was working on music probably as soon as I got out of high school. At a certain point, I was doing shows, so I sold out my second or third show then I was like, nah, I’m not hearing it anymore.
How did your parents feel about your decision?
- Well I mean I was weighing on it since I first stepped into school, I knew this isn’t really for me. I had the grades and sh*t but I was trying to be out here doing some sh*t. Basically at a certain point, once everyone around me knew I had the potential to do something with myself, that’s when I made the decision. I spoke with my family, I spoke with all my friends and they said that’s probably the best decision for you. That was right before I dropped my mixtape ’19’. I had so much content done, ready to be put out and I had to be missing school anyway because I had shows all across the country. It’s either one or the other and my hearts in one of them and it’s not in the other.
You tend to straddle between rapping and singing who are some of your musical influences and is there anyone outside of music that influences you?
- Musically it depends if it’s singing or rapping. When it comes to rap I fuck with Cole, Nas, I fuck with East heavy. When it comes to singing Drake, Drake the GOAT, Mary J. Blige, old school sh*t, Chris Brown. Outside of music, my music, everything is just real. You can hear the pain, everything that happens in my everyday life I put that in my music. I made my music like a diary basically.
You just released your first mixtape 19 last month, how has the reception been so far?
- It’s been unbelievable. It’s doing better than I would have ever even imagined, to be honest with you. We were looking at the Apple Music, Spotify streams and we were like, wow! The whole thing altogether like 400,000 streams. Once we start dropping these visuals niggas are about to catch on.
On the track “Switch” you teamed up with No-1 Noah, how did that track come about?
- My man put me on to one of his songs. That sh*t was dope, I followed him on the gram he followed me back. Then he hit me so we like lets work. That song actually got done the day before my tape dropped.
Now that your first mixtape is out what do you have planned for 2018?
- We got a lot of shows, a lot of visuals. Everybody we rock with is doing well.
If you had to be one song to introduce yourself to a new fan, what would it be and why?
- “Ariane.” You can’t not like that song.
Is there anything you would like to add.
- I just want to shoutout everybody that supported me. Shoutout all my fans my family, Say Less Do More Ent. Me and my big brother King Mil started this sh*t from nothing and he was always the dude that supported me when nobody else did. So without him, none of this sh*t would be possible.