New Jersey seems to be having a resurgence right now. There are a lot of rappers springing up with all different types of styles. You have rappers like Albee Al, to Mir Fontane to Blaze, The Rebel and more. Another up and coming artist coming out The Garden State you should keep your eye on is Mosetta No Regula who is being dubbed New Jersey’s secret weapon.
You may not be familiar with Mosetta but you will be soon. The 20-year-old rapper has always had a passion for rapping and was writing rhymes as early as 10 years old. Even though he has been rapping for as long as he can remember he really started taking this music sh– seriously after he finished high school in 2014. Along with writing his own music he also writes for other artists, and it shows. Just take one listen to his Soundcloud, it reveals the young rapper’s versatility from the bouncy and catchy “Show Me” to the introspective “Door Test.” Something that you don’t see all the time.
After spending the last three years perfecting his sound, building a following that continues to grow and dropping loosies for the past few months, Mosetta No Regula will finally be releasing his debut mixtape “4 P.O.T.T.S.” later this Summer. With his hit-maker potential and versatility the young up-and-coming rapper is poised to make some noise this year.
Get familiar with the New Jersey rapper in our interview below, and check out some of his latest tracks as well.
1. When did you start making music and what or who inspired you to pursue it?
- I started taking this music sh– serious right after high school (Summer 14′) but always had a passion for it. I remember being 10 years old sitting in the kitchen writing rhymes battling my younger cousin to YouYube instrumentals and tryna see who had the best rhymes. But as far as the inspiration behind wanting to make music, it came from my mom’s ex-boyfriend’s younger brother. He was a big time drug dealer and had a lot of money and at the time I used to look up to him, I remember them playing me 50 Cent for the first time and my jaw literally dropped to the floor because of how raw and unapologetic the music was. From that point on I knew I wanted to be apart of the music scene.
2. Where did the name Mosetta No Regula come from and what does it mean?
- I went through a lot of names prior but this one came about organically, I was writing to a beat one day and it was originally a part of a line to a verse and I soon as I wrote it, I stopped and kept on saying it over, “Mosetta No Regula” it rolled off my tongue so effortlessly and smooth ,but I was iffy about making it my name, so I looked up what Mosetta meant and it means ‘creative and outgoing’; and that made me run with the name.
3. What artist(s) influenced your sound and style?
- I listen to a lot of artists so I’m probably subconsciously influenced by everybody, but for the most part, I would say, Kid Cudi, Frank Ocean, and Dom Kennedy.
4. You not only write for yourself but for other artists. Can you tell me about how that came about and did you start writing for artists before you started making your own music?
- Writing for other artists came from me making certain records that were dope but didn’t necessarily fit me or my brand as a whole…. I didn’t wanna throw those records away so I would find the right artist that I thought could fit the vibes of the particular song. From there it just turned into a thing where I could write from the artist’s perspective and have fun while doing it.
5. What can fans expect from your first mixtape and are you aiming for a specific sound sonically?
- You can expect a lot of feel good records. My aim is to make you feel like life is great even when it isn’t… especially with all the bullsh– going on these days; life can be pretty depressing so my music is just a way out.. a “happy place” if you will.
6. When will the mixtape be released and what else do you have lined up for the rest of the year?
- ‘4 P.O.T.T.S.’ will be out this summer for sure I don’t have an exact date at the moment, but when I do ill give the exclusive over to the RapFest… you guys can definitely stay tuned for more visuals coming..none of that cliche point and shoot sh– either. We taking it over the top this time around, and maybe even a tour.
7. Is there anything you would like to add?
- EVERYTHING NO REGULA